Friday, March 5, 2010

'We need new blood': Iraqi voters discuss election


Iraqis will vote in parliamentary elections on 7 March in a key stage in their country's political development since the US-led invasion of 2003. Voters across the country discuss who they will vote for and why.
Iwill not vote on Sunday. They promise change but nothing happens.

I don't think I'm too young to be cynical! It's a matter of experience and I know what I have seen.

I will graduate from university this year in English, I am top of my class, but I don't think I will find a job.

Young people who find work tend to ring relatives who give them jobs, or they bribe their way in. I don't have someone who can help me in that way.

I'd like to see Iraq improve socially, economically and politically. We want Iraq to be more democratic and rely on the vote, not the gun.

I would vote for someone who is responsible, someone who doesn't just care about their position in government.

Our needs are simple. We don't want to be smothered by road blocks on every street, we don't want traffic jams, we want to breathe fresh air.

Most Iraqis seem to have got used to this but we deserve better.


I will vote for the Change List (Gorran). As a Kurd, I have remained loyal to the people of Kurdistan who have been disadvantaged in many ways over the years and I believe Gorran is now the best way forward for us.

The former traditional parties (KDP and PUK) used to employ people based on their family ties or traditional friends, rather than their ability and work ethic.

Gorran doesn't distinguish between the different ethnic groups in Kirkuk; be they Kurds, Turkmen, Arabs, Assyrians or others. This is a big part of why I am voting for them.

I am optimistic that they will keep their promises and do their best for the city.

I see voting as mandatory for all those who want democracy to be firmly established throughout Iraq.

Services in Kirkuk have been improving in previous years, but for many people they are still unsatisfactory.

The same applies for security; although it's better than a few years ago. There is still unrest though, in contrast to the three governorates controlled by the Kurdistan Region.

I am working to get a very good man into parliament. He stood against the Saddam regime, he was fighting in the Marshes at that time, so he has a good history.

I will encourage others to vote; we need to change the leadership and not just vote according to our emotions. Many people are disappointed with the people they chose before.

Our candidate is on the list of the National Iraqi Alliance. It used to be just for Shias, but now it is a mixture of people: Sunnis and other groups.

We have many problems in Basra, people do not have work, there is no real construction.

We are looking forward to co-operating with international oil companies to create a new future. People in Basra have real gold in their land but until now they have not benefited from it.

Other issues are housing problems, hospitals and other services. We need to build new power stations quickly to improve our electricity supply.


The Maliki government needs new blood. It's not all bad, but it faces many problems, the biggest of which is ending the American occupation.

The invasion in 2003 meant I could go to college. I couldn't go under Saddam because I am Shia. So, I thank the US forces for getting rid of Saddam but now we want to rule ourselves.

I work as a PR manager for the Freedom party and I will vote for them. We aim to appeal to all of Iraq; both Sunnis and Shias vote for the party.

The most important thing is security. We must find a way to live in peace together.

I think the government has struck good deals with the big foreign oil companies. We must learn from them how to extract our oil and then do it for ourselves.

Water and electricity supplies are still bad, but I am optimistic. I was born in Baghdad and I like living here, not because the conditions are especially good, but because I love the city.


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "'We need new blood': Iraqi voters discuss election"

Post a Comment